ALTERnative discussion groups
It can be difficult to talk about how we prepare for Christmas without revealing some of our darkest truths.
How do we spend our money? How far short does our family fall from perfection? Who carries the burden of preparing the celebration and why?
We encourage our group leaders to create a relaxing, generous atmosphere where people can share and respond as they feel comfortable. Our materials include opportunities for talking, listening, creating and reflecting.
What makes a session ALTERnative?
- Does it challenge (gently) the accepted excessive commercial norms of Christmas?
- Does it reflect the question of celebration in a world where half of the population are starving?
- Does it encourage people to take time and not just add to the busyness and stress of the season?
- Does it honour the efforts made to enjoy the celebration in the way they want?
- Does it offer people tangible and attractive alternatives to start them on the journey of change?
- Does it challenge the unsustainabilty of Christmas, personally, environmentally. globally?
- Does it do it in a way that is fun, supportive and with a sense of doing it together?
- If appropriate, does it connect with the Christian Christmas story in ways that are imaginative and real?
In this section
- Running out of time and ideas for presents? Grab an old (clean) t-shirt, some glue and a pair of sharp scissors and… twitter.com/i/web/status… … 4 months ago
- Christmas is a time when we are often encouraged to be thankful for the blessings in our lives. Do you consider bei… twitter.com/i/web/status… … 4 months ago
- Need to cook a turkey? Thanks to the Church of Scotland Guild, Christian Aid were able to give solar ovens to commu… twitter.com/i/web/status… … 4 months ago