ALTERnative discussion groups
It can be difficult to talk about how we prepare for Christmas without revealing some of our darkest truths.
How do we spend our money? How far short does our family fall from perfection? Who carries the burden of preparing the celebration and why?
We encourage our group leaders to create a relaxing, generous atmosphere where people can share and respond as they feel comfortable. Our materials include opportunities for talking, listening, creating and reflecting.
What makes a session ALTERnative?
- Does it challenge (gently) the accepted excessive commercial norms of Christmas?
- Does it reflect the question of celebration in a world where half of the population are starving?
- Does it encourage people to take time and not just add to the busyness and stress of the season?
- Does it honour the efforts made to enjoy the celebration in the way they want?
- Does it offer people tangible and attractive alternatives to start them on the journey of change?
- Does it challenge the unsustainabilty of Christmas, personally, environmentally. globally?
- Does it do it in a way that is fun, supportive and with a sense of doing it together?
- If appropriate, does it connect with the Christian Christmas story in ways that are imaginative and real?
In this section
- Here's a thought provoking wee video - how many gifts do you recognise in your life? youtube.com/watch?v=BZKg… youtube.com/watch?v=BZKg… 2 days ago
- Do you have any biscuit cutters you don't really use? Why not turn them into a unique gift of tree decorations? He… twitter.com/i/web/status… … 6 days ago
- We have a new blog post! This one is by our Chair, Val Brown, who works for Christian Aid alternativity.org.uk/blo… alternativity.org.uk/blo… 3 weeks ago